It is almost impossible to write perfectly without making any mistakes which is why it is vital once you have finished to proofread your work. Proofreading allows you to find the errors in your writing and to eliminate them rather than submitting work that has embarrassing errors in it. Proofreading paragraphs or proofreading essays however is not as simple as you would think; especially if you are proofreading your own work. Proofreading requires careful concentration and a lot of practice.
What will proofreading check for?
Your writing needs to be completely free of errors if you want to get the best possible grades or do not want to have your writing make you look like an amateur. Proofreading will allow you to check through your work to methodically eliminate;
- Mistakes with spelling and incorrectly used words
- Incorrect use of the different punctuation marks
- Errors within your grammar
- Issues with your formatting
- Errors in citations or quotations
- Issues with readability
How to improve your proofreading skills
Proofreading paragraph practice using proofreading paragraph practice worksheets with known errors is one way to help you to get the experience and practice that you will need to hone your skills in proofreading. You will find that your proofreading will be that much easier if you;
- Start always using your computer to check for errors; but be careful as it may suggest changes that are incorrect and will also miss some errors
- Read the work that you want to proofread aloud so that you can hear any issues; recording and playing back will help you to hear issues with readability as well as misused words
- Proofread for one issue at a time rather than trying to fix everything in one pass
- Read through the writing backwards to help you spot mistakes
- Use a hard copy of the text rather than a computer; slow your reading by touching every word, increasing the font size, or even masking adjacent sentences using another sheet of paper or a ruler
Remember that the slower and more methodically you work through the writing the better; if you are proofreading paragraphs of your own try to leave sometime between writing and proofreading; the longer the better. If you want to save your time and money at once you can use some cheapest proofreading online services.
Who can do your proofreading
You need to find a professional proofreading company that hires some of the very best and most qualified proofreaders in the industry. One that will provide you with a money back guarantee and always deliver within the time that they promise you. So if you need help proofreading paragraphs to ensure that they are perfectly written just seek out a reliable and affordable proofreading service.
Image credit: http://jacktroth.com/manuscript-editor-services/